RE: Books to suggest

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:14:05 +0000

Thalis,
You asked a simple question on what is a good book to get started and you got overwhelmed with suggestions from people saying you need to learn this and learn that. Those suggestions are overkill. Takes time to pick all that up. It sounds like to me that you got thrown into a position and need to get stuff done. You really don't need to go buy alot of books to do this. Anything with 'internals' in it should be totally avoided for a while. Not important at first. Here is the link to the 9.2 documentation. I dont have the 10g link handy, but you don't need it to learn the basics. http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.homepage The most important parts here are:
SQL Reference: Has lots of examples. Everyone has syntax problems when they learn something new. You will use this alot. This is better than any SQL syntax book on the market. Concepts Document:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/toc.htm Skim this. Look at the table of contents and get the big picture. Ignore the details. You won't retain it anyway. This will give you a good idea of what is going on. Its really too much information to focus on the details at first anyway. Don't worry about it. Just look at the big picture. After that read the application developers fundamentals. Skim it. Totally skip the stuff on java and xml unless you are using it. Too much information. Read Chapters
2-5, 7-9,10-12,15
Skip the rest.
I also recommend doing this for about 10 minutes a day. select view_name
from dba_views
Start by looking for the 'table' views such as select view_name
from dba_views
where view_name like '%TAB%'
and do describes and selects on them. Then go here and get an idea of what they mean. Don't memorize. Just play around. When you get curious do a google search for more info on something and ask questions here. This is really the best exercise I have found to learn about how the database works. Those views are the 'data dictionary' of the system. Use this documentation to learn them. Don't be overwhelmed. Just play around. Do that for 6 months 5 days a week for 10 minutes a day. You will be surprised what you know when you are done. http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.catalog_views?remark=homepage Don't go spending money on books. No need. No offense to any of the authors. I have read most of the books written by the people on this list and liked them.