Re: Books to suggest

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:33:19 -0700 (PDT)

What? You mean to tell me you haven't bought a copy so I could get that $0.0001 in royalties?

Seriously, we did try to make DBA 101 as basic as we could. And in general, we tried to make it version UNspecific. We did note where things were different between versions. Based on comments from readers of the first version, we did about a 60% rewrite of the 9i version -- not to include the "cool" 9i stuff but to make concepts clearer. It's hard to include all the new stuff, while keeping the important old stuff, when you don't get an increased page count.

 Publishers feel, rightly or wrongly, however that the buying public wants the latest version number on the cover of the book.... So Jonathan's book, version unspecific that it is, loses because of that silly "8i" on the cover.