Re: How to convert RAC database to single Instance Database

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:59:34 -0600

Qaiser,

Did you contact Support, or Sales, for that answer? :-)

Admittedly, running non-RAC on a Veritas clustered file-system is unusual (i.e. falls into the "why would you do this?" department), but I can't see why it can't be supported. Except for all the bells and whistles and complications and overhead of a clustered file-system, it's just a file-system, right?

You'll need to get rid of all but the first of your threads of redo. An "ALTER DATABASE DROP LOGFILE THREAD" command should help here. Just don't drop thread #1, please.

Optionally, you might also want to get rid all but one of your UNDO tablespaces (or all but one of your RBS tablespaces if UNDO_MANAGEMENT=MANUAL), though you don't have to do this. It's just a good idea to reclaim some space.

Then, you'll want to get rid of the RAC layer of code by relinking without it. Someone else might want to help here (as I don't have a RAC system handy), but the make script for linking the executables should have a RAC or no-RAC flag somewhere.

Finally, make sure that the parameter CLUSTER_DATABASE defaults to FALSE in your remaining database instance.

I don't know if the OUI will allow the deinstall of the RAC option (which is probably what the support person was talking about), but you could just reinstall everything without it, I suppose. Although, if the OUI keeps detecting "/dev/odm" then it will just keep reinstalling RAC. So, you might have to ask Veritas how to de-install the cluster, which will probably yield the same answer as from Oracle... :-) Or move the database to a non-clustered server...

Oh, did I say to back everything up (i.e. database and ORACLE_BASE) before you start this? I meant to...

Hope this helps...

-Tim

P.S. When all this is done, do you get to pocket the license fees that

        Oracle returns? I'm going to expect a cut...