Re: So how big is your buffer cache ?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:50:17 -0700

comments inline:

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 04:56, Richard Foote wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In an interesting insight into how Don Burleson performs tuning at the
> c.d.o.s newsgroup
> (http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=73f606eef5e7e99f)
> . Don suggests he has "no problem throwing hardware at crappy code when the
> client doesn't want to tune it". He's also basically recommending using AWE
> and utilising all available RAM on 32bit windows, whether you need to or
> not. I mean, AWE has no disadvantages right ... :)

Richard,

We are all free to disagree in this forum, but...

> However, he also makes the claim that "It's not uncommon to see working sets
> of frequently-referenced data of for than 30-gig for a large database. AWE
> is a great techniques for 32-bit Windows databases and I do it for dozens
> of databases every year, ALWAYS with great results."
>
> So my question to you all is how large are your largest buffer caches ? How
> many of you have a buffer cache that is 30G+ ? And on 32bit windows ?

It would appear that you are putting words in Don's mouth. I read the CDOS thread, or at least parts of it, and I don't see where Don is advocating 30 GB buffer caches.

I can't even find the quote you attributed to him, but just based on what you included, you've made the jump from his statement that it is "not uncommon to see working sets of frequently-referenced data of more than 30-gig" to "we created 30 gig buffer caches to hold all frequently referenced data".

A good rule to keep in mind here:

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

You made the assertion that Don said something which in reality does not appear to be true. Not a nice thing to do.

Something else to consider is this: it you want to engage Don or anyone else when you disagree with them, do it in the forum where the thread appeared.

If it appears here, fine. If not, do it in CDOS, or wherever you read it.

It really isn't fair to bring if over here.

Jared
(list owner and babysitter)