RE: BINARIES - San or Local Storage

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:21:21 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/perf/perf/spec/posSeek.html

"The seek time of a hard disk measures the amount of time required for the read/write heads to move between tracks over the surfaces of the platters."

Mladen,

Ok, I'll agree that "seek time" does not include rotational factors. "Access time" is what I was throwing around. Mistakenly so.

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/perf/perf/spec/posAccess.html

Access Time = Command Overhead Time + Seek Time + Settle Time + Latency

I did not mention that the blocks fetched by read ahead is highly significant and was nonzero and what really matters for an OLTP system would be the single block read time.

I also did not mention, that in my examples, the drives used are "short stroked" and that at most only 50% is used for live datafiles, controlfiles, redo log files.
this is a well known method of reducing the seek time, which it then follows, reduces the (average) access time. As the drives were 18 GB, 9 GB was kept as hot which coincidentally I believe that Jonathan Lewis cited as about as large an amount of data that one would want on a single hard drive.

The other half is used for storing backup sets or is left unused. dark. so unavailable that windows Computer Management, disk management doesn't ask you if you want to format it, like it does for my ext3 partitions on the dual boot laptop. :)

my storage utilization ratios are not good.

guess I'll never get my picture in ComputerWorld Magazine with bad lighting where I look like I'm trying to figure out what to have for lunch.

Pd