[Q] How to online drop tempfile ?

From: dba1 mcc <mccdba1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:58:24 -0700 (PDT)

I am doing 9ir2 hot backup/recovery test. I got problem on tempfile (temporary tablespace) drop problem.

I can drop tempfile under "mount" mode, but NOT under database open:

SQL> startup mount
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 202880128 bytes

Fixed Size                   451712 bytes
Variable Size              83886080 bytes
Database Buffers          117440512 bytes
Redo Buffers                1101824 bytes
Database mounted.
SQL> alter database tempfile
'/apps/oradata/eaii/temp01.dbf' drop;

Database altered.

SQL> alter database open;

If I use same command when database open. It will hang in there for ever.

Can anyone tell me how to drop tempfile when database open?

Thanks.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail is new and improved - Check it out! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail