RE: authenticate from Windows network account to backend Oracle d atabase

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:37:56 -0500

Paula - Since I don't see where anyone responded to your email, I'll take a swing at it just based on personal observations, not experience:

  1. By Windows network account I assume you mean MS Active Directory.
  2. I understand Oracle client can be configured to use MS AD to validate users. However specific information is required in a format Oracle is expecting.
  3. Normally Oracle expects to use OID (Oracle Internet Directory). This is an LDAP-compliant authentication service. Since MS AD has an LDAP interface, in theory it is possible to replicate user information from OID to MS AD. In other words, use OID to maintain your userids and transfer that information to MS AD periodically. If anyone has accomplished this feat, please post!

Prior discussions on this topic are available in the archives by searching on keywords such as LDAP, Novell, OID.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.