OT: External table novelties

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:22:50 +0100

Dear list,

Due to a presentation I have promised to give, I am gathering ideas on novel uses for external tables.

I already have 2 good examples to work with, but it would be nice to have some more to work with.

What I already have:

Using external tables to muck about with the alert.log and trace files.

See http://www.dbazine.com/still1.shtml if interested in that.

Along similar lines is using external tables to read trace files. There's a bit of a twist to that one though, as the trace files have extra markers in them, and the SQL to query them uses analytic functions to group the data.

So, any other novel uses I should consider?

Thanks,

Jared