Re: d/b health check

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:05:56 -0700 (PDT)

> Just because no-one is complaining (that you know
> about) does not mean
> that nothing is wrong.

snip
> Users may become
> conditioned to accept
> things the way they are and just complain amongst
> themselves and never
> to management or IT.

large snip to avoid bouncing

> Just food for thought,
> Daniel Fink

Dan,

I totally agree. Users may be conditioned to beating their collective heads against the wall.

"that report took too long, so we don't use it anymore".

there may also be latent time bombs such that when you upgrade from say 8.1.7 to 9.2 are comperable to an aneurism bursting.

one site had posting routines running for hours, frequently hanging - not because they took a long time to actually execute, but due to the app code causing a series of serializations which were manifested as blocked sessions. (users hitting ctrl-alt-del left around zombies, which on win32 - PMON is notoriously lazy in actually terminating the thread and cleaning up the wreckage). I knew nothing about it until I was onsite - and a user was testing routines after an 8.1.7.4 to 9.2.0.4 migration (on a saturday) - during actual acceptance testing. "Oh - these hang all the time. we just kill the app and restart it." Well, their zombied session (and others) would still be sitting there, holding locks, until PMON would get motivated. (yes, they should not have been running on win32).

the routine ran in minutes in single user mode.

One has to assume that the users will not complain directly about app performance.

You as the dba might not find out about it, until you hear that the client has moved to a competitive product, or when you are up in front of a group of users at a conference and caught offguard.

"they're out there".

Pd