Re: no passwd asked when connecting as sysdba

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:06:29 +0100

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:14:51 +0300, Thalis Kalfigopoulos <t.kalfigopoulos_at_alumil.com> wrote:
> I'm a novice user and am playing/learning on a 9.2
> Currently trying to comprehend users/privileges/roles.
> I don't know what I've done (or haven't done), but it seems that if I try:
> sqlplus thalis_at_testdb as sysdba
> I get connected no matter what I type in as passwd.
> I try it with user SYSTEM, and still I authenticate regardless of what I type in.
>
> The user thalis has the dba role and sysdba/sysoper system privileges.

almost certainly you will find that sqlplus mladen/gogala as sysdba will also work - not a testament to his mighty powers so much as an indicator that in fact you are authenticating the operating system user as sysdba. By default sysdba privs are available to members of the group oracle (on unix) or ORA_DBA on windows. There is a section in the concepts manual on this.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA