Re: SET TRANSACTION statements within PL/SQL?

From: Daniel W. Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:59:33 -0600

Fewer, but larger, undo segments (auto or rbs) can actually cause other problems. If you have many processes running at the same time, you may run into contention for the transaction table (undo header waits). If you have very few processes running in parallel (but many transactions running sequentially), you may run into space management issues (unable to extend).

For this process only, you might look at creating 1 undo segment per parallel transaction and size them to 2x the largest transaction. This reduces the risk of header waits and space management issues.

Of course, no matter which approach you adopt, you always need to consider ORA-1555s. If you intend to reuse undo blocks as quickly as possible, you increase the risk. You can minimize the risk by 'partitioning' the data so that each process does not try to query data that may have been changed by another process.

Regards,
Daniel Fink