RE: Re[2]: What Sort of Privilege?

From: <J.Polet_at_Robeco.nl>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:16:30 +0200

Ron,

Did you also take extra measures to keep everyone seperated from a performance point of view preventing one application influencing the performance of another application?

Jaco

 (Embedded image moved to                NL Telephone: +31 (0) 10 224 2045
 file: pic23805.gif)Robeco                       E-mail: J.Polet_at_robeco.nl
 Jaco Polet
 Corporate ICT/BS DBA

                      "Ron Rogers"
                      <RROGERS_at_galottery         To:      <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
                      .org>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                   Subject: RE: Re[2]: What Sort of Privilege?
                      oracle-l-bounce_at_fr
                      eelists.org

                      24-08-2004 15:47
                      Please respond to
                      oracle-l

The many schema method is easy to handle. The schema owner grants privileges to the dba with admin option
and the dba controls the roles. The schema owner/user can only "see" the tables that they own or are granted
access to. With many schemas sharing a few "common" tables from the majority( size wise) of the database, control and access is easy. We have 11 in house applications that have thier own schemas and 1 large warehouse type application on the database. No problems keeping everyone seperated.
Ron

>>> DGoulet_at_vicr.com 08/24/2004 9:12:00 AM >>>
Tom,

             Sorry, but you are wrong. I prefer the many schema method as well.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

From: jo_holvoet_at_amis.com [mailto:jo_holvoet_at_amis.com]=20 Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 8:13 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Cc: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'; oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Re[2]: What Sort of Privilege?

Hi Tom,

we (well, it was in place before I got here, but anyway) basically have=20
one schema per application. We also have one schema which houses = "common"=20
data, i.e. data used in many different places/apps; e.g. employees,=20 customers, products, plants, .... So we have many cross-schema FKs to =
the=20
"common" data but outside that everything is pretty well partitioned.=20
Maybe that's why I've never really had any problems with it.

Is having what is basically a one-schema database common practice ?

mvg/regards

Jo

-- Type: image/gif
-- File: pic23805.gif