pga_aggregate question

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:10:56 -0400

A load process failed with unable to extend tablespace temp_large by blah blah. Temp_large is my temporary tablespace with ~10Gb assigned. The user reran the load and no failure. I got the query which is a CTAS and I ran and saw no writes to temp_large it was all in memory. This was validated by set autotrace and by monitoring v$sort_usage. If pga_aggregate_target is completely maxed out will the supposed memeory sorts go to disk? I looked in statspack in the 15 minute interval when the error happend and see the following. It doesn't look like it was maxed out, but their log shows it was the query they gave me that received the temp_large error. Their load also ran fine today without problems. I can only say the gods must be crazy. I guess I would have to do the Cary thing to make sure autotrace isn't lying about the disk sort.

>From stats pack

PGA Cache Hit % W/A MB Processed Extra W/A MB Read/Written

           43.1           13,376                    17,650

                                             %PGA  %Auto   %Man
  PGA Aggr Auto PGA PGA Mem W/A PGA W/A W/A W/A Global Mem   Target(M) Target(M) Alloc(M) Used(M) Mem Mem Mem Bound(K) - --------- --------- ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ------ ----------
B       512       342      484.1      269.3   55.6  100.0     .0      2,888
E       512       441      361.6        0.1     .0  100.0     .0     26,214

Thanks
Mike