RE: Re[2]: What Sort of Privilege?

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:18:02 +0100

I wouldn't say "Wrong".

Perhaps it is more a matter of preference. There are good and bad sides to both..

Mark

From: Mercadante, Thomas F [mailto:thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us] Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 8:21 AM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'

Jo,

Well, The Oracle Apps applications have many schema's - much like what = you described. I'm guessing that the majority of home-grown applications have only one schema for all of the tables. I could be wrong. In my view, it is = easier to manage. Everything is in one place. It prevents you from creating = two database objects with the same name. Managing security is easier - = again, you can issue all your grants from one schema, rather than needing to = keep re-logging in.

Maybe it's just me!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

From: jo_holvoet_at_amis.com [mailto:jo_holvoet_at_amis.com]=20 Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 7:58 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Cc: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'; oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Re[2]: What Sort of Privilege?

Not sure about that. We have for example an employee table that is=20 referenced just about everywhere (e.g. which salesperson is responsible=20 for this customer, which employee registered for this training course,=20 which operator filed this incident report, ...). These are all different =

apps/schemas referencing this table so I don't see how we can avoid=20 cross-schema FKs.

mvg/regards

Jo

"Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
08/24/2004 13:49
Please respond to oracle-l

=20

        To:     "'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
        cc:=20

Peter,

I totally agree with you. Allowing Fk references from outside of the=20 schema is inviting confusion, duplication and disaster. There is really no = good reason for it.