Re: PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET formula

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:04:34 +1000

Hi Syed,

It's a totally meaningless formula. Totally.

What governs how much PGA you require ? Two things. The total *number* of concurrent sessions and what those sessions *do*. If your OLTP database runs relatively few pieces of "code" on a small subset of data but requires thousands of concurrent sessions, then it's quite conceivable you'll need a significant proportion of your memory for PGA, more so than SGA. In fact, large numbers of concurrent sessions will require mucho PGA, period.

Therefore, any "formula" that doesn't consider the concurrent activity of the database is useless ...

One OLTP database I look after has approx. 50% memory for PGA, another has 5%. Go figure ?

The below quote was written by the same person that said a family requires a house with 20% space for bedrooms and 80% for living space. Ask our neighbours with 11 children to comply with the above "formula".

You get the picture.

Cheers

Richard