sharable memory issues

From: Terry Sutton <terrysutton_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:47:21 -0700

I'm dealing with a situation where there are lots of reloads of queries for a database. There are actually 2 databases, which are roughly identical (I realized the risks of the term "roughly"). One database isn't doing lots of reloads and the other is, even though the queries executed against each are very similar. I have found queries which are identical (they look identical to my eyes, and they have the same hash value) but use different amounts of sharable memory. In one case a query uses 25409 bytes on database DB1 and 32801 on database DB2. The difference doesn't always favor DB1; there is one query which uses 25278 bytes on DB1 and 9890 bytes on DB2. But the overall totals of a certain class of query wind up using much more sharable memory on DB2. Increasing the shared pool could reduce the reloading, but I hate doing that if I can solve the problem otherwise, because of potential latching issues. Can anyone suggest why identical queries could be using different amounts of sharable memory? If I can possibly reduce the sharable memory consumed, it would be better than increasing the shared pool.

Thanks,

Terry