Re: UNIX environment

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:27:54 -0700 (PDT)

> These questions are based on file manipulation,
> database creation,
> script writing and execution, setting permissions
> etc.

> 1. IN UNIX I’m assuming the server is UNIX and your
> workstations are
> either windows or Linux, True?

or both. take a notebook shipped from an OEM, use partition magic to resize the win32 C: partition that was installed to occupy every track on the hard drive to make room for your favorite Linux distribution(s). How 100% utilization of the hard drive with the factory installed operating system is not anti-trust and non-competitive is still beyond me. With 80 GB notebook hard drives being available, you'll have room for 8.1.7, 9.2 and 10.1 homes and databases on both the win and lin boots. One might even consider getting an AMD Opteron-based notebook, and having a third OS installed, namely Solaris for x86-64.

> What is the “typical” client in a UNIX environment?
Secure, perhaps? :)
Not running MS windows update, running a better browser than MS IE ...

> 2. If you are using a different OS on the
> workstation, you must be using
> a terminal emulator, such as putty or telnet or the
> like. Which one do
> you use? My guess in putty or telnet or even Cygwin
> would be crude at best.

I would think that one could not possibly get more crude than telnet. Why not run an ssh client such as putty? The kernel-supported firewall utilities on the *nix box (oracle server) should be configured to at least block all ports under 1024 that are not required to be open, so if your SA is doing his job, port 23 won't be open on the server for incoming telnet client connections and there would be no daemon on that port anyways.

Cygwin is far from crude. Its package manager has continued to improve. Its Xwindows client (should really read "server") is pretty good. You can even use Cygwin on your win32 oracle servers to support an sshd (server). If you've struggled in the win32 command prompt, the bash shell provided in Cygwin is anything but crude. If you're already a PERL monk, then please ignore me singing the praises of bash.

> 3. If you're on UNIX do you use xwindows? On linux
> do you use a window
> manager such as gnome or kde?

If you use OUI to install the Oracle softare and to apply patches, what other options do you have? Also, some OEMs supply storage configuration utilities that run in Xwindows, so you might have other reasons to run Xwindows besides OUI.

> 4. If you have a windows client what is a good
> "shell" tool to manage the server?

putty + Cygwin works for me.
If you prefer to use tools on win32, just work on automating transfer of the files of interest off of the *nix server and into your mailbox or network location where you can use your existing tools against them. Putty comes with a psftp and pscp utility that support file transfer. Just make sure that you upgrade to v0.54.

> Any insight would be appreciated!

> Thanks
> Bob

It was someone's post here (MT) months ago that got me using sshd on win32 oracle boxes included with the free (as in speech and in beer) Cygwin distro.

Our antivirus software had identified psexec.exe (http://sysinternals.com) as a mechanism for malware to leverage, so we stopped using psexec for remote shells on internal win32 oracle servers. It is not missed.

Pd