RE: problem with recovery

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:57:55 -0400

hmm. The files online are the unrestored files, right? In that case they are *not* fuzzy, and you should be doing thing where you insist they are not in backup mode (ie. are not fuzzy). If your UNDO is not broken, then the alter open reset logs should work and roll things back.

Hope you saved images of the online logs before you did anything.

Rolling forward from an older file set and cancelling before the destroyed log block should also work.

What vintage database? If it is anything like recent, I bet Bill Bridge, et. al. will be interested. 'tain't sposa happen.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 4:04 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

On 08/22/2004 03:13:33 PM, "Adams, Matthew (GE Consumer & Industrial)" = wrote:
> Can't open with "RESETLOGS", says SYSTEM tablespace
> still needs more recovery. Guess we're up the=3D20
> creek with the proverbial means of propulsion.

Matt, if more recovery is needed, then there is a dirty and dangerous = trick.
You can set _allow_resetlogs_corruption=3DTRUE,=20

            _allow_read_only_corruption=3DTRUE then do alter database read_only resetlogs; and immediately do full export from the database. That way, you can = salvage the data=20
or what's left of it. I'm not a member of oracle support, these are = undocumented
parameters, you can do it, on your own risk.=20 --=20
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA