Re: problem with recovery

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:43:25 -0400

On 08/22/2004 01:34:20 PM, "Adams, Matthew (GE Consumer & Industrial)" wrote:
> While all tablespaces were in backup mode,
> Oracle reported corruption in the controlfiles
> and crashed.=20
>
> A checksum of the controlfiles found them to be identical,=20
> so I re-created them. Then I took the datafiles out
> of backup mode.
>
> When I went to open the database, oracle tells me that
> the datafiles still need recovery, and that the archive
> file needed is sequence #15339. But this is the online
> redo logfile that was the current file at time of crash.

That is a standard stuff. Don't use autorecovery and when oracle asks for archived redo log, you give the path name for the online redo log file that contains the deseired information. You can get the group number containining the desired change number from V$LOG

SQL> desc v$log

 ----------------------------------------- -------- ---------------------------- GROUP#                                             NUMBER
 THREAD#                                            NUMBER
 SEQUENCE#                                          NUMBER
 BYTES                                              NUMBER
 MEMBERS                                            NUMBER
 ARCHIVED                                           VARCHAR2(3)
 STATUS                                             VARCHAR2(16)
 FIRST_CHANGE#                                      NUMBER
 FIRST_TIME                                         DATE

and then get member pathname(s) from V$LOGFILE: SQL> desc v$logfile

 STATUS                                             VARCHAR2(7)
 TYPE                                               VARCHAR2(7)
 MEMBER                                             VARCHAR2(513)
 IS_RECOVERY_DEST_FILE                              VARCHAR2(3)

The command to start recovery with would be: RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL CANCEL; I've seen database ask for the SCNs in the online logfiles quite a few times. No big deal.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA