Re: DBA interviews

From: Uber DBA <uberdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 00:40:26 -0400

We have been interviewing a lot of DBA's lately. Some good, most not worth their salt. Our interview questions cover general principles as well as depth in certain areas (Backup/recovery, performance tuning, etc.). Basically in 30 minutes or less we can tell if you are technically qualified. From there we move to client scenarios, strengths and weakness, and overall fit.

We have found that virtually every DBA has the same resume. Many claim experience with RAC and Clustering that they don't have. About 50% stopped learning at 8i and have not kept their skills sharp. In general, unless you ask details, candidates will tell you they can do everything.

One question I'm fond of for the second round of interviews: You have 3 clients all with production outages that require you:

Client A: new medium account
Client B: a 1 year old, large account
Client C: a 3 year old small account

In which order do you address the clients and why?

My $.02

-Daniel