Re: DBA interviews

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:58:35 -0400

Friday, August 20, 2004, 5:45:59 PM, ryan gaffuri (ryan.gaffuri_at_comcast.net) wrote:

rg> 2. The following is a really tricky counter-intuitive SQL question, that I
rg> have never seen in practice(got it out of an academic textbook. Its really
rg> simple to do in relational algebra) Don't them use Oracle either. I want
rg> them to do it on a white board(mainly for intimidation, I want to get rid of
rg> people who give up real quick).

I rarely do my best and most creative work while being watched, and, even when I can manage to function while "on display", it's difficult for me to talk through my thought process whilst I'm thinking. I don't tend to think linearly, nor do I think in words. If you gave me your white-board test, you might be rewarded by 10-15 minutes of watching me stare at a blank board while I thought about the problem. Or, I might draw things that had no apparent relation to the problem.

I remember my very first job after completing college. I was hired to program in Pascal. My boss would walk around behind my desk in order to watch me at work, and every time he walked back there he was rewarded by the site of me doing, well, nothing. One day he grew quite frustrated, and I had to explain to him that I simply could not perform with him looking over my shoulder.

Over the years, I've found that the ability to gracefully tell my boss to "go away" for a bit is actually a valuable skill in itself.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com