Re: DBA interviews

From: Bob Metelsky <bobmetelsky_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 08:43:06 -0400

Darrell Landrum wrote:

>I'm with you Rachel.

In this day and age I'd expect questions like:

"What is the destination of Wolfgang?"

"Do you work well with the Cost Based Optimizer, give examples?"

"Explain the closest you've come to getting fired based on the actions
of the CBO?, what did you do to keep it from re occurring?"

"Give me four unique (unheard of) suggestions you personally made to the
CBO, and what were the results?"

"Explain what a Carey is?"

"How often do you get statistics on objects while not affecting
performance.. one iota- Give specific examples - use the white board if needed... remember performance cant be affected by one extra get. We want quantifiable results that the gathering of statistics or lack of, has not affected performance. Remember we will test your suggestions"

"Where is the Oak Table?"

"Whats the quickest way to *actually* rebuild a 2 petabyte index file? -
Are you willing to work weekends?"

"How many disk should the the aforementioned file be spread over,
explain your reasoning?"

"Whats the difference between Cary and Wolfgang?"

Yes, its a different world today indeed. I bet thats answers would make a unique impression

Bob