Re: ((Re)): DBA interviews

From: Darrell Landrum <darrell_at_landrum.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:45:13 -0500

Well, I have to say, I don't mind a tough technical interview either, but I don't necessarily get into stringent fact memorizing. I had an interview at Microsoft once, that believe it or not, I wish other interviews were like. One pair of engineers asked me a series of brief answer technical questions, then a trio of engineers described a problem scenario which I had to solve. They encouraged use of the white board in the room as well as discussing options and asking yes or no questions of them. (After pinging and tracert'ing all over the place, it turned out the cleaning crew had just turned off the dang printer.) The point is it is not the person who knows off the top of their head the range of addresses available in a class c network that interests me, it is the one who knows enough and has resources enough to find out that fact and put it to use.