RE: ****** RMAN backup for multi TB databases ******

From: <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:25:01 -0500

Well, oh yeah. Well, ksh can call fuser. But I don't think it would work in this case since the script uses individual redirects within the script.

What I should have done was either not let more than one copy of the script run at all. Or, as I sort of intended, let more than one copy run as long as the command args don't intersect. That was an idea I had later on, but I forgot to modify the handling of the log file(s). And never got around to fixing it so that the log file doesn't start looking like the Windows registry if you run multiple copies of the script. And probably won't until the extremely unlikely day comes that I need to do it.

>> I've
>> never written a line of Java code.
>I have.

> Which is why I prefer Perl.

I stopped to take a look at Java. Then kept on walking.

The strange thing is, if there ever arose a desperate cry for it (shortly after hell freezes over), I think I might not mind programming using the Motif libs. I think it's a case of something being so extreme that the challenge has its appeal.