RE: Seek Data Warehouse Design skill

From: Gogala, Mladen <Mladen.Gogala_at_aetn.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:15:00 -0400

I wasn't taking part in this debate because I usually have better things to do, but it's Friday, around lunchtime, and busting some chops will make my lunch taste better. So, how would you evaluate somebody's "general intelligence"? IQ test? When we evaluate somebody's intelligence without scientific method (and psychology is not quite an exact science, except when one is being judged by a jury of his peers) we're actually estimating somebody's similarity to ourselves, nothing more. In other words, your proposal amounts to hiring people that are as similar to yourself as possible. I don't really know you, so I can't tell whether this would be a good thing (or, to put it differently, I don't know whether you are similar to myself), but standards and qualifications exist precisely to spare people from some bozo evaluating their "general intelligence". Have a nice weekend.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA