Re: optimizer_features_enabled

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:26:39 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi,

> I have a question around the
> optimizer_features_enabled parameter. If we set this
> parameter to 8.1.7 in a 9.2 database does the RDBMS
> kernel use 8.1.7 optimization algorithms only or
> does
> it use the 9.2 optimization algorithms but limit the
> CBO to only using 8.1.7 CBO features?

> Any clarification on this would be much appreciated.

> Regards,

> Mark

Wolfgang presented at Hotsos in March covering this briefly - or maybe I just tried to pin him down on this afterwards. I don't quite recall.

Check out his paper "whats new in the 9i CBO". You can possibly find these docs at hotsos:

What is new in the Oracle 9i CBO.pdf
Using DBMS_STATS in Access Path Optimization.doc.pdf SQL Tuning with Statistics.pdf

Wolfgang refers to this note:
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=62337.1 Reference Note for Init.Ora Parameter
"OPTIMIZER_FEATURES_ENABLE". here is one tasty tidbit:
Parameter:optimizer_dynamic_sampling
(1 if >= 9.2.0, 0 otherwise)

o_f_e = 8.1.7 is a like tourniquet.
its a last resort.
if you apply it, you will lose the limb. You will be too risk averse to remove it.

Where I applied it, we're not coming off of it until the testing cycle for 10.1.

I can tell you that for Standard Edition, function-based indexes still work with o_f_e=8.1.7, but that is likely due to FBIs being available in Enterprise Edition in 8.1.7.

good luck.

Pd