RE: db_file_mutliblock_read_count and physical IO

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:54:33 -0500

I think it's important to realize that even the Oracle Reference manual = is
subtly wrong in two ways.

WRONG: The total number of data blocks read from disk.

RIGHT: The total number of Oracle blocks obtained via OS read calls.

The errors:

  1. It's not just data blocks. It's index blocks, undo blocks, and so on. It's Oracle blocks.
  2. The phrase "read from disk" is incorrect. It's "obtained via OS read calls." There's no way for the Oracle DBMS (just an app atop an OS) to = know whether the OS read call is actually reading from disk, or from the OS buffer cache, or a controller cache, etc. /All/ Oracle knows is that the blocks were obtained via OS read calls. There's no way for the Oracle = kernel to know whether the blocks obtain were really obtained from a physical device or not.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 9/14 San Francisco, 10/5 Charlotte, 10/26 Toronto
- SQL Optimization 101: 8/16 Minneapolis, 9/20 Hartford, 10/18 New = Orleans
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas - Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...