RE: Saving a group of tables on a database refresh

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:23:04 +0200

Rachel,
 I think that the idea is that the tables that should not be overwritten are stored in the separate tablespace. This tablespace is made R/O then, just to prevent overwriting them by the import. The tables that should be refreshed, will be in a R/W tablespace, can be truncated or dropped, and filled again by the import.

As Cary says, the best tuning is not to execute the SQL at all. I would preferably not export the unwanted data (saves time, disk space and whatever more), but if the data is in the .dmp file already, I would go for the tables= clause as suggested before in this thread. No fear for unforeseen extra rows in the tables because they didn't exist, just a slightly more complicated import script. Just specify the tables you want to import. Straight forward, understandable by any successor of yours (what the heck are they doing here? why two tablespaces for one schema? Why is it made read-only?) Less job-security of course.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===