Re: Grid ... Was: Is RAC DOA?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:14:03 +0100

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:02:29 -0500, April Wells <awells_at_csedge.com> wrote:
> I don't know if it will even be the cost, or at least the monetary cost,
> that will prevent Grid from becoming eventually viable. I think it comes
> down more to a trust issue.
>
> You might be talking about globalizing computational resources, where trust
> probably ultimately needs to be an issue. But even internally, there is too
> much of the mine mentality and I'm not sure that attempting to shift
> paradigms is going to change the mentality. Too many organizations are
> entirely happy with the silo approach because it has always been there, and
> besides you KNOW you can't trust <insert person, department, idea>.

I understand the trust issue, there is also the political issue that often stands in the way of systems integration or server consolidation projects. That is. MY department paid for this server, we pay for the maintenance contract, we pay for a 1/3 of a DBA and 2 developers. Now you want to dynamically reassign MY resources to THEIR group. If they need the resources let them pay for it. Oh and by the way how much of MY budget are you exploiting with this GRID control doobrey whatsit then?

Ok I have caricatured this a little, but I do have some sympathy, I don't want some automated software (even if it implementing policies) to dynamically use some of the CPUs that are dedicated to Oracle for say Email, or to place some users home directories on the same physical spindles as my SYSTEM tablespace or , well you get the idea. This Is I guess about control and sensible use of resources.

Now I know that you can design a Grid system sensibly to deal with these issues, but i'm not sure that when you do, you don't actually find that the benefits of grid (capacity on demand that sort of thing)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA