RE: Grid ... Was: Is RAC DOA?

From: April Wells <AWells_at_csedge.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:02:29 -0500

I don't know if it will even be the cost, or at least the monetary cost, that will prevent Grid from becoming eventually viable. I think it comes down more to a trust issue.

You might be talking about globalizing computational resources, where trust probably ultimately needs to be an issue. But even internally, there is too much of the mine mentality and I'm not sure that attempting to shift paradigms is going to change the mentality. Too many organizations are entirely happy with the silo approach because it has always been there, and besides you KNOW you can't trust <insert person, department, idea>.

As far as the paradigm goes, The utility one is pretty much over done. When I was on my way to Denver for and IBM class, I passed a wind farm where some of the windmills generating power were 'on' and some weren't. It was very pretty, but also kind of close to the way that the Grid will work. Closer than that, though, is in the spring I was watching the Amarillo Youth Symphony Orchestra program (My son the violinist) and how they worked together and separately. In the beginning the instruments (at least the big ones) were there, alone on the stage, waiting to be used. Then the actors came in and brought it all together. How they moved around to different chairs or even to different instruments as the piece required. New musicians came in, others left, all depending on what was called for by the 'job' at hand, by the music.

Okay, maybe that is way too much philosophy (too little spell check) coupled with enough caffeine to keep a normal person up all night, but at the time, it worked for me...

aj