Re: Grid ... Was: Is RAC DOA?

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:09:20 -0700

> So the vision is to deliver computing resources like water or
> electricity is being delivered today, where various producers can
> supplement each other.
>
> I do find fault with this comparison, which in my view is one of the
> worst over-simplifications ever done by the S&M people of the World.
>
> Imagine a world (Planet) where you're told that the current (sorry, joke
> un-intended) electricity you're using is out-dated. You will need to go
> to the newer version of electricity, which happens to be 342 Volts and
> 42 Amps - and the plugs in your wall will need to be "upgraded" to a new

> model with seven different sized and shaped thingies to fit into each
other.

I use a similar analogy, but from a slightly different perspective.

You will rarely hear of requests such as this being made to your favorite electrical utility company:

"Yes, that 220v 60hz 2 phase electricity is nice, but what I would really like to see is 225v, and 72hz would suit us much better. Please have it ready by Monday."

or

"We realize that 3 phase 440v 100 amp circuits works for most of your customers, but our engineers have made some optimizations to our equipment.

Beginning next month, we would like the power delivered as 680v 4 phase, but we will only require 50 amps."

Yes, the utility analogy wears quite thin.

Jared