Re: Is RAC DOA?

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:45:39 -0600

Extend that question into the realm of 'grid' computing. RAC requires a heterogeneous environment within the cluster. This means that a RAC cluster is not really grid friendly. It is only able to 'shift' processing requirements within itself and cannot take advantage of that underutilized server sitting next to it in the data center. I asked this question of an Oracle employee recently and the response was that RAC does indeed fit into Oracle's grid strategy, but there are not any plans to enable a homogenous RAC system. Am I missing something?

Daniel