RE: Is RAC DOA?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:48:10 -0400

One slight quibble, regarding increased availability.

The maximum theoretical increased availability is the time a single node would have been down unexpectedly, plus the time of outage to execute a failover to a stand by node for preventive maintenance, MINUS the time of outage due to increased complexity (cluster failures, multi-node disk sharing, single node failure that brings down the cluster anyway, etc., etc., etc., go Yul Brynner!)

I don't have any cases where this number does not come out negative (yet), largely due to the frequency of cluster failures and cluster functionality destroying events such as multi-node listener confusion. I think a fair amount of the down time is due to a combination of pilot error and pilot misinformation (documentation errors and omissions.) I count pilot error on the MINUS side of the equation when it is pilot error that could not have happened on a single node implementation. My hopeful expectation is that grids will become nearly as bulletproof as single nodes in the not too distant future, especially when given adequate guidance from expensive billed by hour resources.

Now V6.2 on a stable vax cluster is a different issue, but since the DLM threaded ploddingly through the disk farm, that is an entirely different issue.

mwf
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Ray Stell Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 11:17 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Is RAC DOA?

I posed a question here last week wrt RAC and got one response. Is there a concentration of RAC users elsewhere? I find the=20 metalink forum practically worthless, which is probably another strong indicator that RAC is dead. Pricing issues, right?=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Ray Stell   stellr_at_vt.edu     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D