RE: raid 5 disaster

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:06:25 -0400

So it's your IOPS and total data cache requirements versus their cache size without a test?

Three things I can think of have a *chance* of being convincing. (Please note there is *not* a 100% correlation between technical accuracy and being convincing to non-technical management in the face of professional salesmen.)

  1. Your peak transaction commit write to redo rate exceeds the IOPs capacity of getting data to the non-volatile component of your disk farm. "Do you want critical transactions sitting in cache?"
  2. 80/20 rule. They'll probably claim that a tiny percentage of total database size is a reasonable cache. Demand 20%, or else you're sure you'll flood too often. If they are actually proposing 20 gigabytes of cache dedicated to a 100 gigabyte database, you might be okay. Probably a waste of money, but unless your IOPs required to go to non-volatile rate is higher than their back end, 20% usually really is enough. More likely, though, the proposal is a few tens of gigabytes against a terabyte of data. Or less.
  3. Find your "trial balance/open GL Period" month end process. Note how much data must be spooled through to produce reports and generate the new monolith for the next period. Now yours might not be financials, but you probably have some cyclical atypical load against a time constrained window. Pick the one that tends to cost your company money or lost opportunity. "Well, when we do flood cache every (hour|day|week|month|quarter) while we're processing (aged receivables|MRP|payroll|etc.), we'll miss our processing window and have to delay access to the system by interactive users, including management forecast reports you use to make decisions."

Good luck with the politics.

If you need to have a scaling simulation run, I can arrange to spend a lot more of your money to demonstrate whether or not the i/o complex is actually adequate. Chances are the demonstration costs more than buying an adequate disk farm with a back end i/o signature that can be parallized and spread out.

(For example, if you take the proposed cost of the study and use it to buy enough disks to arrange them in stripe sets of multiplexed disk images to handle your target load, then you'll probably have money left over to add additional stripe sets if production loads exceed your estimates. The relevant cost comparison of additional stripe sets is as compared to buying additional cache, since if the original solution was based on "But it has a huge cache, You'll never flood it," then the next round will be "Wow! Your I/O requirements are atypically high. You'll need to buy even more cache!")

Disk is cheap, but not free.

Insufficient IOPs usually turn out to be expensive.

mwf