RE: Rollback to Undo in a RAC env.

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:17:24 -0500

I just recently converted a single instance from auto to manual due to an alert from Siebel when trying to do an upgrade. While they claimed there process only works with a traditional large single rollback segment, it still failed with ORA-01555, which I predicted would happen.

In answer to your question about performance, we've implemented AUM on over 20 production instances with a marked decrease in these types of errors, and anecdotally improved performance.

While I cannot help you with your specific RAC question, we've had so much more success with undo management over rollback segments, I have a hard time believing you really need to revert back. I only did so to placate our consultant, who showed me a document from a vendor (now since contradicted by yet other documents from the same vendor!!!), stating the process required using rollbacks.

If I had a nickel for every time this happened....

Michael Fontana
Sr. DBA
NTT/Verio