Re: Rollback to Undo in a RAC env.

From: Daniel W. Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:00:22 -0600

Interesting question. The docs don't seem to address this particular question. According to the RAC parameter section, UNDO_MANAGEMENT is not required to be identical amongst all instances. Since each instance must have their own undo segments (in AUM the undo tablespace), I would theorize that it is possible to have the instances running in separate modes. I would be concerned about 2 things (at least). First, how will the auto undo instance perform read consistency with entries from a manual rollback segment (of course, I've never tested cr in a RAC environment)? Second, what are the recovery implications?

In terms of known problems, avoid automatic undo in a high transaction volume OLTP system. The basic process of UNDO generation and application has not really changed, so you should not see performance problems. In all the testing I have done or been exposed to, performance was never an issue that could be tied to one type of undo management versus the other.

Regards,
Daniel