RE: raid 5 disaster

From: Ken Naim <ken_at_clubmom.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:40:58 -0400

Raid5 is notoriously slow for writes and instead of just selecting and spooling the data they are making several copies of the data (with logging to boot) converting the statement to simple sql scripts with spool statements followed by the select statements will avoid the write penalty of raid5 and will gain the performance benefit of only using the sql engine (no context switching etc.). Now if they are not inclined to rewrite the reports you can always throw money at the problem and switch from raid5 to raid 10 which will speed everything up tremendously but it isn't the optimal solution as you will see a better performance gains be redesigning the reports (you could also do both if you want to shock and amaze them).