Re: PDF Highlighting

From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:03:51 -0700 (PDT)

REF: Poor man's tahiti.oracle.com

> * From: Niall Litchfield ...
>This is rather disappointing to me as I was hoping to
>implement a poor
>man's tahiti.oracle.com using intermedia and the
>Oracle PDFs. (There
>are at least 2 good reasons for re-inventing the
wheel >here).

>If anyone has done something similar, especially if
>you can point me
>at good resources to show how to display matching
>terms in context,
>I'd be grateful.

The *quickest* poor man's tahiti is to use Adobe indexes provided by Oracle in the documentation download (e.g. R920 B10501_01). Ever wonder what that sub-directory called "index" was about?

  1. Install/unzip the B10501_01 (whatever) files.
  2. If you are using Acrobat Reader v6.0.x or above and click on search button or CTRL-F the search panel appears for "Basic Search".
  3. Click/Open the file called ..\B10501_01\index.pdx Requires using the 18mb file you probably deleted to save space ..\B10501_01\index\parts\00000001.did. :-)
  4. Notice the extra search option appear? If you're challenged just look for a button with the label "In the index named index.pdx". Now you have multi-word "Basic Search" with *highlighted* results (yucky UI for results) for all documents in the library.
  5. If you are really curious now, click on the links (not button) for "Use Advanced Search Options" or "Refine Search Results" at the bottom of the search panel.
  6. Don't forget the forward-back buttons on top of search panel to recall previous searches (more yucky UI, who designed this anyway?).

Issues?
- All the documents in the library appear in the result list. At least you can drill down. - You have to hold the mouse over a matching word to see the page number.
- I want drill down by page number and one match for multiple search terms rather than one match per word. - The search panel UI is yucky, a.k.a. bad. - The working area for the result list is too small.

HTH. Sorry for late post and resurrecting old thread.

Regards,

Mike Thomas

Do You Yahoo!?