Re: Is it just me

From: Lisa Spory <lspory_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:28:27 -0700 (PDT)

Logminer won't help me track the WHO, especially since in this case the who is obscured through connection pooling and only available to the database via an explicitly set application context.

AQ or custom-built messaging systems are certainly cool and fun technology, but perhaps overkill?

If I list partition by table_name, then how is the contention on my single table any different than having a separate table per table_name? (ignoring momentarily my desire to elegantly "slide" data off, which could be handled less elegantly to avoid contention issues instead).

I need to poke around and gather numbers related to the number of concurrent transactions I expect to support as well, since again, I am not auditing the whole database, mostly setup/parameter data.

Regards,

Lisa

Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl> wrote: Before AQ was there, I built my own version using dbms_alert messaging combined with a message table. The alert gets sent at commit-time. Otherwise dbms_pipe can help.
The handler was just waiting for an alert, en when it was received, it started to empty the queue at a moderate rate. When the queue was empty, it started sleeping waiting again. I just don't like polling. Best regards,
Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===