Re[2]: Is it just me

From: Peter Robson <pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:02:58 +0100

>> If you ever saw a system that was write-mostly over the long term, then
>> there's data going in that's never coming out. You'd have to wonder why
>> someone would pay money to store things that are never retrieved.>>

This statement has been repeated several times in the thread now, and I cannot let it go unchallenged any longer.

In essence, where a situation like this does exist, then yes, some fairly stern questions need to be asked. But it is very dangerous to generalise from the particular.

For example - do you justify the books held in a library on the basis of the frequency with which they are accessed?

In the digital environment - what about audit trailing sensitive transactions which one hopes will never have to be retrieved, but must always be retained just in case...

In the BGS, we are charged by gov't to hold geological data (in both digital and analogue form) which goes back hundreds of years. Some of this stuff hasn't been accessed for years. Should we junk it? In the days of Mrs Thatcher, the answer was an emphatic 'yes', and moves commenced to do just this. Thank goodness sense prevailed before any lasting damage was done, but nevertheless we did lose some irreplaceable data.

In the scientific world, the case for long term data retention, to the extent that there is a net inflow of data, is unassailable.

As above - be careful out there....

peter
edinburgh

--
    mailto:pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk

This  e-mail  message,  and  any  files  transmitted  with  it, are
confidential  and intended  solely for the  use of the  addressee. If
this message was not addressed to  you, you have received it in error
and any  copying,  distribution  or  other use  of any part  of it is
strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the sender and do not necessarily represent  those of the British
Geological  Survey. The  security of e-mail  communication  cannot be
guaranteed and the BGS accepts no liability  for claims arising as a
result of the use of this medium to  transmit messages from or to the
BGS. .                            http://www.bgs.ac.uk