RE: nomenclature standardization: where best to put oraInventory?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:16:51 -0400

I don't think Tanel meant he pointed /etc/oraInst.loc at a non-standard location, but rather he just editted it to point at the one in ORACLE_BASE that was the current subject. I could be wrong (easily and often).

So it seems this is indeed a fragile structure. Either it is as officially supported, one oraInventory in a particular ORACLE_BASE for all ORACLE_BASEs on a given node, or else you have to tinker.

Jurijs -- what sort of problems did you have? Was it just that oraInventory was not under ORACLE_BASE, and some patch set made that assumption instead of consulting /etc/oraInst.loc? I'm thinking that is just a flat-out bug and someone needs a spanking. However, you might be implying something more subtle or insidious regarding oui and/or jre complexities and it flew over my head. Please elaborate if that is the case. If there are fundamental problems, then I think it means that there is a collision of hierarchical requirements. I'll try to make an example, but consider this theoretical, not factual. Say one release of oui needed one release of X services and another needed a different release, but neither worked with the other and you could only have one X up on the node at a time. Then the two ORACLE_BASEs would be incompatible. So for any component that is unique on the system, if two releases of Oracle require different versions of the component, then two ORACLE_BASEs could be irreconcilably incompatible.

No one has chimed in on the CRS Home issue yet. Possibly I'm premature at that, but it seems to me a good solution with well-reasoned nomenclature needs to be worked out before we can even approach grid free play substitution and reallocation of nodes. Once upon a time there was a guy at Oracle who realized that figuring out the lay of the land often took longer than solving actual problems, so he offered up a decent standard. He cared about the nomenclature making sense, being flexible enough to actually be used, and, strangely enough in our relational world, that hierarchies nested and bound properly.

In this context, I consider oraInventory a current annoyance, and thank you gentlemen for decent workaround strategies.

But I see CRS Home as a huge debilitating issue that will prevent maturation of Oracle's grid architecture and complicate actual deployment unless concensus is reached early in the game. Given that a node might be a candidate to be deployed to two different services managed by two different Oracle DBA teams, I find the requirement that CRS Home is under some specific ORACLE_BASE to be constraining. Clearly for now I'll just have to live with it. For now I'll probably keep to one ORACLE_BASE per node and suggest more nodes if group access considerations would otherwise require more ORACLE_BASEs.

If all y'all have a good idea on this, please chime in.

mwf