Re: Is it just me

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:32:41 +0100

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:54:21 -0400, Goulet, Dick <dgoulet_at_vicr.com> wrote:
> Niall,
>
> With 3000+ tnsnames files running around you should have made the move =
> to Oracle names long ago. The migration to OID thereafter is very =
> simple, working on it, & then it does not involve AD at all.
>
> Dick Goulet
> Senior Oracle DBA
> Oracle Certified 8i DBA

This is true. However when I tried it (8.1.5 and 7.3 days) I couldn't get it to work reliably. Of course back then all I knew about networking was that there were boxes with lights on involved, so it was probably down to me. Now I understand that there is electric string as well.

As for AD, we already have that - we are windows only. I'm hoping that using AD makes good technological and business sense (we have AD experts as well as Oracle folk in house) for us.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA