Re: SYS_GUID

From: Paul Baumgartel <treegarden_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:19:43 -0700 (PDT)

We use sys_guid for all primary keys in our application. We frequently move schemas between machines with no ill effects. Although the decision to use sys_guid was made before I took my current job, and I wasn't convinced that sequences wouldn't have done the job just as well, when we started using multi-master replication I was very happy, because managing sequences in replicated databases is a pain. With sys_guid, there's no sweat.

> Does anyone use the SYS_GUID function made available in Oracle9i?
>
> I recommended this be used instead of sequences for a distributed
> processing design, and some on the team are rightfully concerned
> about
> recoverability issues. For example, would a recovered database table
> have the original sys_guid values? Would the recovered values still
> be
> unique? If anyone knows the answers to these questions, or has some
> experience with using this functionality, I would appreciate hearing
> about their experience.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michael Fontana
> Sr. DBA