RE: "SET UID" not set for oracle executable ?

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:22:35 +0200 (CEST)

AFIK, root.sh is executed to do things like copying oraenv etc. to /usr/local/bin, and only root can create that dir if it isn't there. Putting a default oratab in /etc is another task of root.sh.

At least on most default installed (not-hardened) unix flavours the user oracle self can set the setuid bit, and one doesn't need to be root to do that. Root privileges are needed to set the setuid bit on files that one doesn't own.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===