Re: MBA for database people

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:07:30 +0100

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 10:14:12 -0300, Boivin, Patrice J <boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca> wrote:
> Where I work all management positions are defined as "non-technical", from
> team leaders up.

Sounds fair enough - I've always said that I didn't want to do management. Good management is a hard thing to do, and requires a whole set of skills that I either don't have, or know that I will never master, or in the case of corporate politics want to avoid as much as is humanly possible.

The downside comes if the pay and rewards scheme that your employer utilizes doesn't recognize that, for example good application design skills are valuable and scarce whereas good sales team management skills might be less valuable and more common.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA