Re: db file scattered read

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 01:23:43 -0400

On 08/06/2004 10:14:09 PM, Wolfson Larry - lwolfs wrote:
> Table monitoring causes SMON to populate DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS every 15
> minutes in 9
> 8i it's every 3 hours. You get information on
> inserts,updates,deletes,truncates

OK, as a foot soldier DBA, why would I want to use this feature? I dismissed it as impractical, as soon as I've read about it. It cannot help me with newly created tables which haven't been analyzed yet, even if the table is created with monitoring option. In my opinion, this feature was added to the RDBMS just to make DBA guide longer and harder to read. Thanks for your clarification, it is brilliant and easy to read.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA