RE: db file scattered read

From: Justin Cave <justin_at_askddbc.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 20:21:34 -0600

I believe that MONITORING instructs Oracle to keep a rough count of the number of rows in a table that have changed since the last time statistics were gathered, so that when you gather statistics next, if you specify GATHER STALE, Oracle will know which tables it actually needs to gather statistics on. I don't believe that MONITORING instructs Oracle to update the statistics automatically.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC