RE: Oracle client security

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:05:15 -0500

How in the world did you find this? Even after I see the answer, what = did you search on to find it?

I'm also wondering exactly how this is pulled off. I know a user can be = locked out of the registry. But if the user fires up a DOS window, sets = the ORA_ENCRYPT_LOGIN environment variable to FALSE, and fires up some = client program from that DOS window, does that client program's Oracle = connection (assuming it's a self-standing 32-bit) revert to the = ORA_ENCRYPT_LOGIN env var as it sits in the registry or as it was = redefined in the DOS window? For that matter, can a user even set an = env var if they are locked out of the registry? I'm not sure how this = mechanism works (or was designed to work) in Winders.

Not that it particularly matters for us, as this particular client was = Unix and user's are locked out from shell access (and ftp, ssh, etc. to = be able to override their own .profile/.login/.bash_profile/etc), but = I'm curious.

Thx, Jared!
Rich