RE: Time to read 6000 (block size 2k) blocks

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:49:16 -0400

One of our calculators is broke.

I get 21.86/6126 = .003568

Move the decimal point and it is 3.57 ms.

Let's see, rounded number sanity check: 22*1000/6000 is about 22/6, so yeah, 3.6 ms is about right.

I don't think youse need more iron, but *probably* a move to 8K or 16K blocksize will help you.

Unless a few things:

If you still end up reading the same number of blocks because the rows are scattered with respect to the rows you need. If you get hot blocks on the insertion side so bad it doesn't matter how fast you can read later.
If the increased block size tips you over on memory usage so that you're cacheing so much less that you have to do real physical reads frequently where now you're mostly reading from cache.

Personally I've never had joy on large systems with 2K blocks, and with direct i/o the net-net has always worked out better at 16K than 8K, but I'm sure my view of the world is skewed from trying to fit things like GL OPEN PERIOD and PA LABOR ALLOCATION into a given window more than trying to handle tens of thousands of users. I've also never tried to use 16K where that was a mismatch with the i/o chain, such as on an 8K blocksize filesystem.

Now if it was 46 ms, I'd be looking for a way to either cache more or straighten out something in the i/o chain as per Jurijs.

mwf

PS: of course if you really don't need to be reading all those blocks, improved sql is less disruptive to implement