Re: standards

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:12:11 +1000

david wendelken apparently said,on my timestamp of 6/08/2004 1:50 AM:

> It used to be easy in forms, (one could save the form in the database and query the code),

Good old times... I wrote a C program eons ago to manipulate the Financials API forms code and translate it to something that forms 3 could understand. Worked a treat. That was the last time I seriously played with the Forms source.

> They made a C api available, but C isn't my favorite language to write in.

and it isn't much fun to use a proprietary API either...

> Haven't tried out 9i's xml-based file yet, but that should be simpler to
manipulate.

You must. It simply ROCKS! Would be lost in the current project without it. Unfortunately, it is not exactly bi-directional: you can't go forms->xml, then go xml->forms and end up with exactly the same screen layout. There are still some minor losses on the conversion. Mind you: this is 9i. I'm told in 10g it is "all fixed". Then again: I've been told that about every single release of Oracle since 5...

;)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto